Pages

Nov 6, 2011

Sunday night letters

Dear Cordera Ward members,

Did you see those crazy kids at church today?  The ones who were screaming and fighting over crayons before the opening prayer?  White shirts and ties did nothing to mask the insane behavior on that row.  Man, the oldest one even blew a spit wad at the kid in front of him during the closing song.  That family will have to be pretty brave to show up again next week.

Oh, wait.  That was my family.

Sheepishly,

Mama Bartle
...

Dear Ensign editors,

I'm so glad that the General Conference edition of your magazine arrived in my mailbox this week!  Reading this message on Saturday night definitely brightened my dreary outlook.  And way to turn up the tech by adding QR Codes to the First Presidency messages!  That rocks!

Sincerely,

A trying-to-be-faithful Latter-day Saint
...

Dear John Archambault,

I love, love, love Chicka Chicka Boom Boom.  Love.  And so does Lexi.

That is all.

From the reader with rockin' rhythm
...

Dear Lexi,

Your hot pink fingernails and toenails are darling.  But, once again, another day has passed and I have not painted my own toenails.  You should feel special.

Love,

Mommy
...

Dear generic Vicks Vapo-rub,

Garry rubbed you all over Gavin's and Lexi's feet tonight and then tucked those feet into socks.  Please make their yucky coughs go away.  Especially Gavin's, because I want him to go to school.

Hoping for a miracle,

The one who hasn't caught it yet
...

Dear Stephen's Chocolate Mint Truffle hot cocoa,

Mmmm....you are so dang good.  When I drink you I forget for a while that I am paying a million dollars to heat my drafty house.  You are worth all the cold weather in the world, especially with a sprinkling of Andes Mint chips and a few marshmallows.  I'm sure I will regret my copious consumption of your delectable goodness in a few weeks when I see our family pictures.  But today I might just buy stock in your company.

Lovingly,

A fan
...

Dear Kate,

So here's the million-dollar question: Formula or Mama's Milk?  Could you just give me an answer?  One way or the other, I need to make a decision, and while it is academic to some, it is agonizing for me.  What will help you grow?  What will make you happy?  What will help you sleep through the night?  What will make you feel most loved?

I'll expect your answer in the morning.  A message in the sky would be just fine.

Love,

Mama
...

Dear fourth grade teacher,

Zach's terrarium/aquarium project has been a dismal failure.  Our idea to moisten Zach's terrarium plants with milk has provided a unique contrast to the watered plants in the classroom, but the result is mostly gross.  The milk dripped into the aquarium, killed four fish, and generally created a murky bog that is starting to stink.  Blech.  We haven't even started the pollution portion of the project, and I'm ready for the whole thing to find a new home in a landfill far, far away.

On a related note, one of the goldfish Zach brought home from our church Halloween party seems strong and hearty.  Zach doesn't think the fish is an actual goldfish, which may explain its longevity.  I think it is still alive because it doesn't have a name.  None of us expected it to live longer than 24 hours.

Zach's mom
...

Dear ambition,

Where have you gone?  Two weeks ago I was exercising, sewing, and mopping my floor. Today I'm eating ice cream out of the carton, ignoring the cluttered counters, and looking at the pile of fabric on my dining room table in fear and trepidation.

I think Kate's feeding issues and the mastitis scared you off, and understandably so.  But once Kate completes her sky-writing project in the morning, feel free to show up again. This household could seriously use your help.

Sincerely,

The slug

9 comments:

granny said...

Oh, Heidi, you do have a way with words. :) The craziness of your life will provide great memories, and your efforts with your wonderful kids are paying off big time. Hang tough. You'll sit around the table with your grown kids and laugh hysterically about spit wads in church.

Kristy E.B. said...

You do have a great way with words. Makes me smile to read your witty writing. I also smile because I can relate so much, especially to kids screaming over crayons before the opening prayer and the cluttered countertops.

Anonymous said...

I love your letters! I hope today brought some motivation, some answers, and maybe a treat. :)

maynardmoments said...

Your letters are great. I especially love how you sign them. Creative. I really enjoy that hot chocolate as well. I can't have sugar yet, but as soon as the nausea is gone, I will be drinking that stuff by the gallon.

Bethany said...

Love your posts Heidi!! Feel for your breastfeeding struggles...for Miya's first month I was spending at least 2 out of every 3 hours at some stage of the breastfeeding (with a nipple shield since she was too tiny to latch on), pumping, syringe/cup/and finally bottlefeeding cycle. Once my mom headed home and I started to work again there was NO way I could sustain that regimen, so, determined to keep her exclusively breastfed I now pump everything and bottlefeed her nothing but breastmilk. At some point her demand is going to outgrow my supply so she'll then have to be a breastmilk + formula fed baby. :)

Can you do both? Breastfeed as normal and supplement with formula? (had to do this in the NICU with Miya) That way Kate still gets all the benefits of your milk along with the extra she needs.

Colleen said...

Enjoyable as always! I have been enjoying reading the Conference Ensign too, and mmmm...Stephens mint cocoa! YES PLEASE!!! Hang in there, my motivation usually moves in swings too, and at least you have the excuse of having a tiny baby! I don't get that luxury. :) Good luck with the nursing/formula conundrum. I would be stressing over it too!

Alissa Maxwell said...

Hang in there Heidi! Nothing like advice from a stranger, but... have you considered that perhaps your solution is to combo breastfeeding with formula? I think you are an ideal example of why formula was created! If Kate nurses through 6 feedings/day and takes two bottles of formula, then she gets all the amazing benefits of breastfeeding and the calorie boost from supplemental formula. I found that the greatest influence on my milk supply was... stress over milk supply! Knowing that I could supplement with formula when I needed to actually helped me nurse both my boys much longer than I expected.

Melanie said...

Three cheers for the family who still goes to church, even though it's clearly the most difficult task to take on during any given week. Three cheers!

Emily Hayes said...

When I was a Jr in high school everyone in my seminary class was given a goldfish, most died by the end of the day. I refused to give mine a name because I figured he wouldn't live. At home I put him in a sorry little bowl and got him some food... he lived for four years! Just swimming in circles with no name.

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share