Pages

Oct 7, 2012

Still waters


I spent some time at Temple Square early Friday morning.  I drove over from my hotel and quietly walked the grounds.  My troubled heart was searching for peace, which it found, in part, near the temple.  It was cold that morning and the sun was still coming up when I arrived.  As I sat at the fountain, and then on the plaza adjacent to the temple, "The Lord is My Shepherd" came to mind.  

The Lord is my Shepherd; no want shall I know.
I feed in green pastures; safe-folded I rest.
He leadeth my soul where the still waters flow.
Restores me when wand'ring.  Redeems when oppressed.
Restores me when wand'ring.  Redeems when oppressed.

In the valley and shadow of death though I stray
When Thou art my guardian, no evil I fear.
Thy rod shall defend me; thy staff be my stay.
No harm can befall with my Comforter near.
No harm can befall with my Comforter near.

In the midst of affliction, my table is spread.
With blessings unmeasured, my cup runneth o'er.
With perfume and oil thou annointest my head.
Oh, what shall I ask of thy providence more?
Oh, what shall I ask of thy providence more?

Then I walked around the grounds and found this: a pool of flowing, still water.  That pool became a profound symbol of the peace and assurance I can find in the Savior.


As I lingered on Temple Square, I marveled at how the quiet atmosphere would change dramatically in 24 hours when the 182nd Semi-Annual General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would commence there.  Thousands of people would descend on the Conference Center, the Tabernacle, and the Assembly Hall to hear prophets and apostles of the Lord preach His gospel to the world.

I watched that conference via the Internet from the comfort of my home in Colorado Springs over the next two days.  I was instructed and uplifted and edified.  And, once again, my soul was led to still waters.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I had never before considered that pool, a favorite location of mine, to be flowing still waters. I love that and wonder if that is, in part, what the designers had in mind. I love the imagery that the flowing still waters are fed by a constant source. They are fresh and renewed by the unfailing source. Thanks for sharing. I needed that today.

angiedunn said...

beautiful ♥

Lloyd said...

Two of my favorite photos have been taken there.

http://LloydShell.zenfolio.com/temples/e30822436

Different pool, same principle.
http://LloydShell.zenfolio.com/temples/e1e4d0b1d

Didn't know you had been in town, come see us next time!!!

Colleen said...

It brings peace to my heart just looking at the pictures. So happy you could be at the temple at one of those times when it's needed most, even if it was just being near and not in.

Melanie said...

The sunrise, with the orange leaves--spectacular. And the reflecting pool--great connection. I'm sorry you were there for a funeral...but very grateful that you got to go. Thanks so much for sharing your insight!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share