Pages

Oct 1, 2012

Just remembering

When I'm sad, like I am today,
I try to find something to fill the emptiness.
So I looked up all the pictures I have of my Grandpa Dent.
(And, if I'm being honest, I also opened a bag of candy corn,
because, as we know, I suffer from kummerspeck.)

The pictures were equal parts healing and heart-breaking.
But mostly healing.

Summer 1979:
Grandpa holding me when I was new.


October 2001:
Grandpa holding my first baby when HE was new.


November 2002:
Thanksgiving in Mesa, and Ryan's Eagle Court of Honor.



May 2003:
Two Grandpas asleep on the couch (after Angie's wedding).


September 2004:
Holding baby Tyler and teasing little Zach (see the tongs?).






July 2005:
With family at Temple Square.


July 2006:
Letting Tyler play in his lap.


March 2007:
Grandma and Grandpa with the boys.


June 2008:
Wrangling baby Gavin.


July 2009:
Holding baby Lexi.



August 2010:
A lunch with the family in Salt Lake City.


April 2011:


March 2012:
Introducing Kate through the wonders of Skype.


So.
That was a sweet little trip down Memory Lane.
I'm glad to have all these pictures in one place.
But I think I need more candy.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, how I wish I had taken more pictures with him. I'm trying to avoid the cookies and animal crackers around here and we don't have any candy. BUT, instead, I'm eating apples dipped in LARGE quantities of Creamsicle fruit dip, which is mostly cool-whip and vanilla pudding... So I don't think that really counts as healthy either. ;) Love you!

Amanda said...

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I love all the pics of your grandpa holding your babies. That is so sweet. Both of my grandfathers died before my babies started coming. But, as I watch my kids, I often feel them near--letting me know that they're proud of my decisions and what I've made of my life. I hope you'll continue to feel your grandpa's love in the coming days.

Grandma said...

That was a very nice blog. Your Grandpa was a very good man. Wow, their yard is gorgeous BTW.

GinaJ said...

Heidi, I'm sorry for your grief. Indeed the hardest part about a loved one dying is missing them. You have so may great pictures! My grandmother didn't like being in pictures (I thought she was beautiful, but she didn't), so I don't have many pictures of her (except the ones I could sneak or they were "for posterity.") She was the only one of my grandparents I got to know well, and even though I had time to prepare for her death, it was still rough. I'm so sorry for your loss!

Colleen said...

I am so sorry for your loss! It is so hard to say goodbye, even when we know it's not forever. Your grandpa has a wonderful, gentle smile. What a gift eternal families are!

Melanie said...

So tender! You've been blessed to have him in your life all these years. But ouch. What a painful loss. Thinking of you...

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share