Pages

May 27, 2012

Celebrating the graduate

My baby sister has graduated high school!  In the midst of the drama related to my parents' house fire, we were happy to celebrate Holly and her many accomplishments.

On Sunday we attended Baccalaureate at Mesa High.  Holly was relieved to wear her own cap and gown, which had been airing out all day and was amazingly free from its smoky smell by 6:00 p.m.  Holly accompanied a musical number during the program and posed for many pictures afterward.



On Tuesday and Wednesday, we attended two Senior assemblies.  As student body president, Holly conducted both.  It was fun for me to see her in action.  Holly also earned a scholarship through the Service Learning program and received the Principal's Award. She has done great service to her school and community during her years in student council.







Holly graduated from the LDS Seminary program on Tuesday evening.  Most of the family attended that graduation ceremony, and then we went out for ice cream.






My parents treated a party of 22 to dinner at Rosa's to celebrate Holly.  I didn't take any pictures, but we had a great time.

Mesa High graduation was Thursday evening.  Holly had a big cheering section in the stands.  We did the wave and hollered like crazy when my parents (seated on the field) were recognized because Holly is the sixth and last Dixon child to graduate from Mesa High.  My brother David, his wife Rachel, and I sang along (in three-part harmony) with the MHS choir when they sang "The Battle Hymn of the Republic."  And of course, we made quite a ruckus when Holly received her diploma.










I'm so glad I had the chance to participate in all of Holly's graduation festivities.  She and I had some good times together last week.  She was just two years old when I left for college, so I'm happy that we have developed a good relationship.  I am very proud of my little sister.

3 comments:

Grandma said...

Congrats to Holly! She is a beautiful girl.

granny said...

Go Holly! Way to make the best of all that happened. You rock.

Melanie said...

Such a great event for Holly--and for all of you, as she completes the MHS grad set!

Great job to all the family for giving Holly a parade despite the house fire. Well done!

Congratulations, Holly!

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share