Pages

Jul 18, 2012

All the trimmings

Although the couches Garry is building aren't ready to be upholstered, I decided to start working on the pillows.  I couldn't find trim at the store to match the fabric, so in addition to cutting out pillow covers yesterday, I cut bias strips for almost 50 yards of corded trim.  I based my calculations on the faulty notion that the fabric pattern ran horizontally instead of vertically.  Despite this lapse in judgment I figured out a way to make it work.  Here are some photos from the 8+ hours I spent on this project today.

First step: cutting.  My rotary cutter (and my brain) got a workout.

This was my cheat sheet, which I designed thinking the fabric grain
ran the opposite direction.  I improvised.

This is the pile of cut pillow pieces.

When I took this picture, I thought I had a big mess on the floor.  It got so much worse.

Next up was cutting two-inch strips on the bias.  Never done that before.

I hoped this pile would cover 26 yards of cord.

After consulting many online tutorials and a sewing friend,
I cut all the tips off the bias strips.

Another messy pile.

One by one, I sewed the strips together.   I eventually made almost 50 yards of trim.
I will probably use the excess for seat cushions.

Then I sewed the cord into the bias strips.  This was rather tedious.

At long last I began sewing the covers together.  Because of my goof with the grain,
I pieced a few of the back panels.
  
This is the first finished pillow.  I think it turned out well.

One down, six to go.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

That pillow looks amazing! All of your hard work is totally paying off. I can't wait to see your couch!

Five Wahlquist's said...

Learned a great tip from Jenny H. about sewing. If you tape a lunch bag (the brown paper kind) to the edge of the table where you are working it can act as a little garabge can you can throw away later. No more huge mess to clean up after! Just thought I'd share!

Grandma said...

Nice job Heidi. We can't wait to see it all finished. You and Garry are quite ambitious to take on such a project but I'm sure you'll both be proud and happy with the end result.

Melanie said...

You are a very clever woman...but I'm not sure where you found 8 hours to devote to the cause. Wishing you could just put your feet up instead...

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share