Pages

Jan 20, 2008

A season of change


Right now my life is all about change. We're preparing to sell our beloved first home. We're moving a few states across the map to a place I've never been. We'll be starting fresh. Everything will be new.

Doing new stuff can be scary, but I think that's mostly about leaving behind the familiar and the comfortable. There is plenty of that in Beaverton -- so many fabulous friends, happy memories, and wonderful traditions. My heart hurts when I think about waking up without all of them around the corner. Faces are swimming through my mind in a sea of memories. I hope I always have them.

Having said that, I'm kind of excited about the move.

I have an adventurous streak that just isn't afraid of diving in and seeing what happens. Someone told me recently that her family motto was "I can do hard things." I like that. I've started chanting it to myself when I'm faced with an awkward phone call or a frightening closet that doesn't want to be packed. I look forward to saying it when I can't find my way home from the grocery store in Colorado Springs or when I walk into our new ward and instead of knowing every name and every face I'm the new girl again. I can do hard things. And sometimes I like it.

In the spirit of change, I'm stepping out of the family newsletter box I've been so comfortable in for six years. I don't categorize this in my list of "hard things" by any means, but rather in the list of "new things" in my life. So here's to the new things, and the hard ones, that make life interesting!

10 comments:

Karie said...

Hurrah for blogging!

Also, what is prompting the move? More details, please!

Mark Dixon said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! Whatever the format, we will always look forward to the Bartle Bulletin.

Bethany said...

Very exciting! Where are you headed?

Yin said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you are leaving. You will be missed, but I wish you all the best in your new adventure!

runningfan said...

Karie: see Sunday's Bulletin (old-school style). Fregollik: Colorado Springs! Yin: I know! Crazy, eh? We need to schedule another lunch date, especially because I'll be in AZ on February 2!

Lloyd said...

I remember a "new girl" at church saying, "my husband & I just moved here & he's looking for a job!"

Thank you for doing that "hard thing" and becoming part of our lives!

GinaJ said...

Blogs are fun! I hear the call of the blogospere, too, but I haven't had enough energy/motivation to make that jump. "You can do hard things" -- something I heard my mother tell me many times -- is definitely a mantra for you to live by right now. And it's true, of course. You are one of the most capable and competent women that I know. Here are my wishes for as smooth of a moving experience as possible!

granny said...

Way to go.com. Wish I could help you more!

Grandma and Grandpa Clark said...

Congratulations on entering the blogging world. Our family has been doing it for several years now and it works great for all of us. A great way to stay in touch with those of the family living far away. We love it. We are surprised about your move. Remember Jason served his mission in that area and has many wonderful memories of Colorado Springs. I think one of the Hardy boys also served there. You will probably love it too. Would you mind if I post a link to your blog on our family blog? Some of the kids would probably like to visit it sometime. Saw your mom and dad on Saturday at the Caucas. Go Mitt!!!!!! Our best to you all. Bro and Sis Clark

runningfan said...

Don & Evaden: You sure can! We're all about the public domain. :)

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share