Pages

Jun 3, 2013

It has to get worse before it gets better

This afternoon, when I wanted to put away a bottle of craft paint, I had to dig through a messy closet for the 47th time.  As I am prone to do, I snapped for no reason and immediately pulled out the closet's contents and started to organize it.

This particular project has been stewing in the back of my brain for a few months now.  But who has time to organize a closet?  Not this girl.  I mean, with all the kids home for the summer, I should quit taking five-hour naps and spend time with them and nurture their tender spirits.  Right?  Wrong.  Summer is the perfect time to ignore my kids and clean out the closets.

In the process of working on the coat closet, I worked on the linen closet around the corner.  (Because one project begets another, which is why I never want to start.)  Here I learned a valuable lesson: Having messy closets leads to unnecessary purchases because the items I think I need are actually buried in piles of random crap.

Case in point: I have accumulated a year's supply (or two) of deodorant, contact solution, and body wash.  Also Scotch scrubbing pads and Windex.  And travel-size shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, and lotion.  And enough toothbrushes to keep our teeth squeaky clean straight through the millennium.  I have 12 (count 'em: 12) white pillowcases.  This is good news, because surely when the apocalypse arrives and we are eating through our whole wheat and red bean food storage, our angry stomachs can barf into pillowcases.  Or something.


I am only part-way through my organizing frenzy.  When I finish with the linen closet and the bathroom cabinets and my bedroom closet, my overstimulated brain ought to be settled for a while.  And with all that work behind me, I might actually deserve a nap.

No comments:

pass it on!

Bookmark and Share